AOR AOR AOR
AOR

************************************************************************************************************************

WELCOME TO AMERICANONLINERACING.COM
The Best Racing On The Net -- Since 2010 --
CELEBRATING OUR 10th YEAR

************************************************************************************************************************

»» LATEST 10 WINNERS: ««

» Fun Friday - Fri, Aug 14, 2020
William Crabtree
RACE 27 at PROVING_GROUNDS2005

» ProCup - Thu, Aug 13, 2020
Jeff Trowbridge
Go Bowling at The Glen at WATKINS GLEN INTERNATIONAL®

» Traction Trucks - Mon, Aug 10, 2020
Jeff Perry
at CHARLOTTE MOTOR SPEEDWAY

» Cup Speedway - Sun, Aug 09, 2020
William Crabtree
At the Glen at WATKINS GLEN INTERNATIONAL®

» LMDR - Sun, Aug 09, 2020
William Crabtree
Eat Dirt at Fonda Speedway

» Fun Friday - Fri, Aug 07, 2020
William Crabtree
RACE 26 at Piggzport Super Speedway

» ProCup - Thu, Aug 06, 2020
Greg Artlip
Consumers Energy 400 at MICHIGAN INTERNATIONAL SPEEDWAY®

» Traction Trucks - Mon, Aug 03, 2020
Jeff Perry
at MICHIGAN INTERNATIONAL SPEEDWAY®

» Cup Speedway - Sun, Aug 02, 2020
Dennis Turner
Michigan Pure at MICHIGAN INTERNATIONAL SPEEDWAY®

» PSRL - Sun, Aug 02, 2020
Rick Turcic
Another Chance for Mag at MICHIGAN INTERNATIONAL SPEEDWAY®

»» LATEST 10 POSTS: ««

» TRACK SPEED 
  » Last Post by Rick_Turcic

» ASRacing DRTV Race from 2017 - Michigan 
  » Last Post by Gary_Moran

» Dirt Track Setups 
  » Last Post by Larry_Cole

» Passing 

» 8/6 Michigan Win 

» A Trrue Story: Part 3 
  » Last Post by Troy_Donahue

» A True Story Part 4 The Final Chapter 

» NY Fairgrounds setup 

» Kentucky Track Change 

» Charlotte Roval Early Access 
  » Last Post by Rick_Turcic

AOR AOR AOR  GIFs are offline AOR
AOR HOME AOR
AOR AOR AOR
DFG
Verified   
DFG
DFG DFG
DFG DFG DFG

DFG
Main Menu   
DFG
DFG  
 Home
    Home
Other
DFG
DFG DFG DFG

DFG
ScreenInfo   
DFG
DFG  
ScreenSize
Click for Help
DFG
DFG DFG DFG

DFG
Donations   
DFG
DFG  
Bob_Dillon - 
07/30/2020

Brett_Carter - 
05/16/2020

Dennis_Turner - 
05/15/2020

CharlieY - 
05/11/2020

cenzo - 
04/19/2020

Jeff_Trowbridge - 
04/15/2020

Rick_Turcic - 
04/14/2020

Gary_Moran - 
04/09/2020

Bob_Dillon - 
03/28/2020

Brooks_Switzer - 
03/26/2020

Please help keep AOR running. Make a donation and help offset the costs. Every donation helps.

DFG
DFG DFG DFG

DFG
Supporters   
DFG
DFG  
Supported by

W3schools

Paint By RAH

OpenWeatherMap

HeadShotDomain.net

GoDaddy

[ Be A Supporter ]
[ Supporters ]
DFG
DFG DFG DFG

DFG
Honey Pot   
DFG
DFG  
Bots in the pot!
We have [47] bots stopped!

DFG
DFG DFG DFG

DFG DFG DFG
DFG
Forum Index Members Search Usergroups
Ranks Staff Statistics Forum FAQ
Board Rules Edit your profile Login, Check Messages Log in

Search for at

Recent Topics   Next 6 >>  
Forum Replies Last Post
TRACK SPEED
Started by GhostDriver
LMDR 1 Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:19 pm
by Rick_Turcic
ASRacing DRTV Race from 2017 - Michigan
Started by Greg_Artlip
Racing discussion 3 Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:22 pm
by Gary_Moran
Dirt Track Setups
Started by Larry_Cole
LMDR 6 Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:06 pm
by Larry_Cole
Passing
Started by cenzo
Cup Speedway 12 Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:26 am
by Gary_Moran
8/6 Michigan Win
Started by Greg_Artlip
AOR Pro Cup Invitational 2 Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:29 pm
by Gary_Moran
A Trrue Story: Part 3
Started by Larry_Cole
Racing discussion 5 Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:22 am
by Troy_Donahue

A Trrue Story: Part 3
Post new topic Reply to topic printer-friendly view List users that have viewed this topic-jst Forum Index Racing discussion
View previous topic View next topic
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Larry_Cole
A True Story. Only the Names Have Been Changed to Protect the Guilty.

The Driver

Well, I now have a race car (sort of) but I am still missing one major ingredient before I am off with my car to the race track: A Driver.

Now the city I grew up in had a population at the time of around 20,000, and was about 10 miles away from Fonda Speedway, which had started this whole trek many years ago. The city is located in the Adirondacks, and besides hunting and fishing, racing at the speedway was the major entertainment of the area. So needless to say, there were a lot of race cars that came from this city and the surrounding area. This meant that there were a lot of drivers about. Or one would think. The problem was, every driver had a car to drive. And others quite frankly, wanted nothing to do with The Sneaker.

What to do...what to do?

As I noted above, there were a lot of race cars coming out of this area. And it seemed that almost every garage/gas station had a car that they sponsored or raced themselves. One of these garages was located on West Fulton street, and I passed it many times going to the local Dairy Isle. Which meant that I spent a lot of time stopping into the garage and chatting with the owner regarding his car, and trying to soak up as much knowledge as I could as my car experience was virtually nil at the time. I had wanted to take auto shop in high school, but nooo, they wouldn't let me. I was to “smart” and needed to go to college where I would do great things! Right! With what money I would use to go to college was never really explained other then “Work hard and get a scholarship!” Right! As long as science and math weren't required, perhaps I had a shot. Me and my “C” average. Right!

OK, I am going to digress here for a brief funny side note. They had a scholarship day at the school where various schools sent in representatives and some were actually representing several schools. They would post applications for us “suckers” to fill out and submit. And, as it would happen, we, the students, were required to submit 3 applications. Now seriously, I had no clue what I wanted to do with my life at that point (besides race. My baseball career went down when my elbow went down). My guidance counselor told me” Go with liberal arts! Then you can change your major when you are sure of what you want to do!”. So I randomly picked 3 applications without really looking to see what school it was or where it was located, but they had liberal arts,  and I filled them out and sent them in. Three months later I received a letter from one of the schools. It was John F Kennedy College in Wahoo, Nebraska! And in the letter it told me the following (paraphrasing here as I no longer have the letter): That they would like to welcome me their college. That their college, until that year, had been a female college only (!), And that they felt I (!) would make a great candidate to start their male/female integration and were offering me a 100% scholarship! Alas, I passed up on this great opportunity.

Now where was I? Oh yes, looking for a driver. Anyway, this garage that I “hung about” at times had a mechanic by the name of Rocky (not his real name). Rocky was a rather large man, around 6”2”, 220 pounds. One look at Rocky and you were sure you didn't want to bump into him in a dark alley at night.  The funny thing about him was, that as intimidating as he was to look at, he was very quiet spoken person. And he never made me feel like a total idiot with some of the questions I asked. During one of our conversations just bullshiting about, he had mentioned that he used to drive at Fonda and that he had several wins under his belt. Now I found that damn puzzling. He worked at a garage that had a race car. The owner of the car was Rocky's boss, yet the owner of the car actually had someone else drive the car. The guy currently driving the car was no great shakes. So why was Rocky not driving for him?

Well, I later found out why. And you know what? It just followed the script that was being forged for The Sneaker.

Now that the car was built (and look, I had no illusions to what I had for a car) and that I needed a driver for it, I stopped at the garage to see if I could get Rocky to drive the car. Or rather, readied myself to get turned down again, but hey, I was used to it. Nothing ventured, nothing gained, right? So I waited until Rocky was alone and asked him if he would give my car a shot as a driver for it. My jaw damned near hit the ground when he looked and me and said, “Sure. Why not?”

I had a driver!!

Well, I know dear reader, that you know something bizarre is about to be told, so here it comes.

All excited that I now had a driver, I stopped by the local tavern that my dad used to stop at every night  after work (yeah, I had to drink soda. Still only 17 and he didn't need to know about my fake ID.) and gave him the news.

“Hey Dad! I got a driver for the car!”

“Really?” he responded.

I wanted to say “No, just kidding. I like to make things up” but instead I answered, “Yep, Rocky from the garage on Fulton Street. He used to drive, I asked him if he would mind driving mine, and he said OK!”

“Rocky?” he stated flatly to me. “Rocky?”

“Yep” I responded.

“Do you know the story about Rocky?” he queried?

“Yeah, he used to race before and had some wins.”

“Chief”, that was his long standing nickname for me, “Be careful around Rocky.”

“OK, I'll bite. Why?”

He then went on to tell me the history of Rocky. It goes something like this:

One night during the spring of 1965, two police officers were called to a domestic dispute at a local house. While trying to quell the dispute, one police officer pulled his gun out trying to subdue the male who was not settling down quietly. My Dad speculated the gun was pulled due to size of the officer versus the size of the unhappy male. A scuffle broke out between the male and the police officer, and the police officer took his pistol and slammed it against the head of the male. Enraged, the male struggled with the police officer, and during the struggle, the gun went off, killing the police officer. The male then took the other police officer hostage, and using the police car that they had driven to the dispute, took off with the hostage police officer in it. The car then led local police on a multi-city car chase before pulling over and surrendering to police.

Yes Dear Reader, that male that I referred to was Rocky.

So how was it he was available to drive for me? Read the following headline:

Roar sounds at Not Guilty verdict

That's correct, he was found not guilty based on his attorney's position of “self defense”. And interestingly enough, the roar was not of outrage at the verdict, but rather just the opposite. People cheered the Not Guilty verdict.

A couple of years later after he drove for me, I ran into Rocky again and I brought up the question of why he wouldn't or couldn't drive for the garage he still worked at. He explained to me that even though he had been found not guilty, many people harbored a grudge/hatred toward him, and the garage owner didn't want the negative publicity that he feared would occur if he had Rocky drive for him. And then in a move that surprised me all to hell, Rocky thanked me for giving him one last ride.

And to my knowledge, The Sneaker was Rocky's final ride.

(to be continued one more time)

Handle every stressful situation like a dog.
If you can't eat it or play with it, piss on it and walk way

Series Administrator
Series Administrator

Groups Series Administrator
Series Administrator
Posts 370
Joined Nov 11, 2010
Status Offline
View user's profile Send Larry_Cole a private message Visit user's website Find all posts by Larry_Cole

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 12:40 am Reply with quote
Richard_Hildebrandt
Good and interesting  reading Larry.

Thanks
Richard Hildebrandt
AKA Corvette-fan
Please login to see this link
Get registered or Log in

Driver
Series Administrator
Privileged Admin

Groups Driver
Series Administrator
Privileged Admin
Posts 136
Joined Dec 04, 2010
Status Offline
Gender Male
View user's profile Send Richard_Hildebrandt a private message Send Richard_Hildebrandt an email. Visit user's website Find all posts by Richard_Hildebrandt

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Greg_Artlip
Good Story Larry.

Greg Artlip

ASR 2015 LMV2 FIXED Series Champion

ASR 2016 CWS14 FIXED Series Champion

ASR 2020 GengBR15 FIXED Series Champion

Driver

Groups Driver
Posts 9
Joined May 16, 2020
Status Offline
Gender Male
View user's profile Send Greg_Artlip a private message Send Greg_Artlip an email. Find all posts by Greg_Artlip

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Richard_Hildebrandt
Was that part Three Larry?

Thanks
Richard Hildebrandt
AKA Corvette-fan
Please login to see this link
Get registered or Log in

Driver
Series Administrator
Privileged Admin

Groups Driver
Series Administrator
Privileged Admin
Posts 136
Joined Dec 04, 2010
Status Offline
Gender Male
View user's profile Send Richard_Hildebrandt a private message Send Richard_Hildebrandt an email. Visit user's website Find all posts by Richard_Hildebrandt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Larry_Cole
Yes it was

Handle every stressful situation like a dog.
If you can't eat it or play with it, piss on it and walk way

Series Administrator
Series Administrator

Groups Series Administrator
Series Administrator
Posts 370
Joined Nov 11, 2010
Status Offline
View user's profile Send Larry_Cole a private message Visit user's website Find all posts by Larry_Cole

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:22 am Reply with quote
Troy_Donahue
Well how did Rocky do?

Driver

Groups Driver
Posts 33
Joined Nov 08, 2010
Status Offline
Gender Male
View user's profile Send Troy_Donahue a private message Find all posts by Troy_Donahue

Post new topic Reply to topic printer-friendly view List users that have viewed this topic Time synchro. with the server - Timezone/DST with your computer
Page 1 of 1